- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 Cup onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, undrained, divided
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add onions, cumin and cook over medium heat until the onions are tender.
- Puree 2 cans of beans with their liquid and broth in a blender. Add to saucepan.
- Stir in remaining can of beans, salsa, lime juice, zest, and cilantro
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered 30 minutes. Top each serving with additional cilantro, if desired. Serves 6.
- Gluten-free, dairy-free
- Use vegetable broth for vegan option
- Pairs nicely with cornbread and/or a green spinach citrus salad. - If you want more heat, add spicy salsa.
- Use organic ingredients when possible