Chocolate Almond Oatmeal Bites
- 3 large, ripe bananas well mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil barely warm
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup coconut finely shredded, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp cinammon
- 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6-7 oz dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, racks in the top third.
- In a large bowl combine the bananas, vanilla extract, and coconut oil. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the oats, almond meal, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks/chips. The dough is a bit looser than standard cookie dough, don’t worry about it.
- Drop dollops of the dough, each about 2 teaspoons in size, an inch apart, onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 – 14 minutes – Makes about 3 dozen bite-sized cookies.
- You can use unsweetened carob, or grain sweetened chocolate chips, or do what I did and chop up 2/3 of a dark chocolate bar of greater than 70% cocoa.
- You can make your own almond meal by pulsing almonds in a food processor until it is the texture of sand – don’t go too far or you’ll end up with almond butter.
- Coconut oil works beautifully here, just be sure to warm it a bit – enough that it is no longer solid, which makes it easier to incorporate into the bananas.
- If you have gluten allergies, seek out gluten-free oats
- Inspired from a recipe on 101Cookbooks.com